The domestic summer program will be followed by the official SAFLI fall program in India. Students will participate on a program in India administered by American Councils for International Education. During the fall term, all SAFLI participants will maintain UW-Madison student status and will need to submit applications to both the study abroad online portal and the American Councils online portal. All of these applications must be submitted by the stated deadlines in order to ensure participation. Application information and deadlines will be sent to each participant upon acceptance of their SAFLI award.
The fall overseas programs will take place at the American Institute of Indian Studies (AIIS) centers in Jaipur for Hindi and Lucknow for Urdu. Students will be considered UW-Madison students for the duration of the fall overseas program.
- Students will participate in homestays and will have access to the resources and administrative staff provided by the AIIS centers.
- Classes will meet from Monday through Friday between 9am and 1pm.
- Cultural activities such as cooking, dance, photography, calligraphy, and drama class will take place 2-3 afternoons per week.
- Students will meet with local Language partners 2 times per week.
- Local cultural excursions within the city will occur approximately bi-weekly on the weekend, with an overnight cultural excursion on one weekend.
- During the program, students will have 2-3 weekends free for exploring, catching up on homework, spending time with their host family or language partner, etc.
More information and the application for the fall abroad portion of the SAFLI program can be found at the following website:
UW-Madison International Academic Programs
Awardees may also be able to remain abroad through the spring semester, identifying their own program, to continue language study as well as other coursework, internships, or research. Please contact Boren for questions about this option.
A sample breakdown of what the SAFLI fall budget might look like can be found on our Costs page.
“The most rewarding part of the SAFLI program was the quality of education and sense of accomplishment at progressing in a language”
SAFLI 2016 Student